Tuesday 29 January 2013

CANVAS COMPETITION

I held a canvas competition for the year 9 textiles pupils of Walkden High School in Salford, Manchester for the third year running.  I showcased my University Textiles work, images and samples of my greetings cards from Hallmark cards, images from my Art designer job and also my latest freelance and "Rankidoodle" work.

The pupils had to design and create a canvas which included a word, a pattern, a stitch and an object.  The winners would then receive their design printed on to a canvas to keep (3rd - 20x20cm, 2nd - 30x30cm & 1st - 40x40cm)

Me and Miss Quinlan (textiles teacher) met up recently to judge the competition.  There were some really great entries, lots of ideas were really "on trend" with great imagery and good use of colour...




So here goes...





I chose Jayes' NEW YORK canvas for third place because it has a good composition and use of space, I also like how the picture overlaps the wording and it has lots of neat stitching...

Jaye Rowlett





I chose Jasmines' canvas as second place because I thought it had a really lovely soft colour palette, the imagery is well printed and stitched and the fairground/circus theme is bang on trend!...

Jasmine Christie


...And now for the winner! *drum roll...





I chose Francescas' canvas as the winning one because it was so different to all the others.  She had really thought "outside the box" by making all the butterflies look like they are floating off the canvas!  Also the composition is great with the butterflies forming a heart and the colours are bright and summery!


Well done to the three winners and to all the pupils who took part, it was hard to pick from so many great entries.

You can see the winners from the previous years here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...